Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Classic Novel 2: The Book Thief

Hello readers!

Today I'm going to be giving my review of Markus Zusak's novel The Book Thief.

The Book Thief has been around for a little while and was a book I was actually recommended for reading when I was in upper high school.  I never got around to reading it.  In hindsight, I'm not sure why I didn't.  The story takes places during World War II in Nazi Germany, which is something I've always been interested in.  The only thing I can figure the recommendation came during a period where I wasn't reading much.

I was incredibly pleased to read The Book Thief for this literature class, and the book did not disappoint me.  As mentioned above, the story takes place in a Nazi Germany town.  Most of the action occurs on Himmel Street, which translates into Heaven Street.  The narrator is an omnipresent individual (I won't spoil for you who the narrator is in this post) and tells us (the readers) the story of Lisel, a young girl living with a foster family.

The town they reside in is very pro-Hitler.  Lisel is forced to participate in the Hitler Youth program and the activities they put on.  These contain, among other things, book burnings.  Lisel doesn't know how to read in the beginning of the story, but she begins stealing books anyway.  As the story progresses, her foster father begins to teach her to read in the basement of their home, until Lisel is reading on her own and able to devour all the books she's stolen.

Through events out of her control - including hiding a Jewish man in the basement, the bomb threats that begin constantly plaguing the street, and the increasing stress from Hitler - we experience Lisel's growth and struggles.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Book Thief.  It brought a refreshing take on World War II by showing a different side that we rarely get to see.  The book is funny, smart, and emotional.  There were parts where I felt the narrator was over explaining their intentions, but I do understand why Zusak chose to write it that way.  I highly recommend The Book Thief for high schoolers and adults alike.

What are your thoughts on The Book Thief?

~Meaghan

P.S. : If you want more information on this book or on Markus Zusak, his website can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment